Anna Hack

Hey Guys!

I have literally been trying to get my act together to post for Indie Sewing Month for years and I’m so excited to finally be doing it!!  As the title of the post might lead you to believe, I took the By Hand London Anna Dress and stuck my own self drafted pencil skirt on it.  I had to do a little arranging to get my darts and side seams to line up to Anna’s but all in all it wasn’t too tough.  I also got super complicated with some stripe manipulation, using medium weight soft cotton shirting but unfortunately in the end I think all that unstable bias led to like thousands of wrinkles. To be fair to my fabric as well though, this was also my first time using this pattern … and in general this company, and there could just be some legit fitting issues.  After all not all blocks and people are created equal.  For example, I know I’ll definitely have to move the side seams if I attempt this again.  They’re waaay too far forward on me.  I matched my skirt sloper to them and you can literally see the side seams when you face me straight on.  Again, the stripes don’t help this either. Bah!

Not going to lie, it’s kind of frustrating after all the stripe matching energy I put into this.  I guess I certainly learned my lesson though. Soft fabric + bias + structure = No.  Just no.  Also… muslins.  Always muslin.  (I’m also open to suggestions if you think there’s anything else going on here.)  With that said, you know what?  I fricking put a lot of work into this and I still think it looks good enough to wear to work.  Especially if I throw a cardigan on top.  So yes, I will be wearing this baby out of the house.  Take that wrinkles, you can’t crush my spirit!

Design wise I originally thought I wanted to go for the below the knee sexy-secretary look, but after trying it on I decided that I liked it above the knee better. I think I’m going to call that the southern-sorority-girl look.  Lol.  I think the stripes are ringing a seersucker bell in my head.

I was also a little short on hem length with the below the knee look and there was something about a nice deep hem that I just realllly wanted for this dress so that helped sway my decision.  Finishing wise, the dress is fully lined with a white cotton voile which is how the neckline and arms are finished and I threw a white invisible zip in the back.

All in all I don’t think this was my finest work, but I had #goals to participate in an indie pattern month and I’m glad I finally got to.  Hope you all had a great week, and happy Fri-yay!


PS. If you ever want to come check out my personal blog, all sewing-lovers are welcome in my little part of the internets

20 thoughts on “Anna Hack

  1. I can totally understand the kind of love/hate relationship that comes out of a project like this. If you ever try cutting something like this out on the bias again, stay-stitch all of the seams and use some lightweight interfacing to stabilize the zip. I learned the hard way as well. I made a bias-cut skirt and all of the seams are wavy. 😦 But I think the fact that you matched all of the stripes to create a chevron look definitely distracts from any fitting issues. And, like someone else has told me, anything you make probably fits you way better than anything you could find in a store. So go ahead and rock it!

    Liked by 1 person

    • Yes! You totally get it Joanne. That’s great advice…I didn’t stabilize the zip because I sewed the lining and face fabric together as one, but maybe that could have helped. And you’re right about the RTW fit as well, I’m always more critical of my own makes than I am of anything from a store.

      Liked by 1 person

  2. I think this looks way better than you think it does! I say wearable muslin for the win. Bet you get lots of comments and feel a million times better about this hack the moment you wear it outside the house. Very adventurous and mad skillz so well done!

    Liked by 2 people

Comments are closed.