Last year, the challenge “Inspiration Nation” had me reflecting on a jacket made by Miriam during the “Check it out!” challenge (July 2015). At the time I thought a plaid dress I’d made some years before would be great to re-make into a jacket someday. The June 2016 challenge provided the perfect opportunity.
Since the dress hadn’t been worn for a over a year, but the fabric was still in excellent condition, I decided to unpicked and recut it into a jacket. I liked the velvet inlaid collar from Simplicity 3146, but unfortunately couldn’t use the rest of this pattern because there wasn’t enough width for the kimono sleeves. Instead, I turned to Simplicity 3120 (circa 1959) for the body and sleeves. However, there was absolutely no way of matching the check across the body to the sleeves, no matter how hard I tried. Disappointed, and though the jacket was near completion, it became a UFO, hiding in the back of my closet.
Fast-forward to last months TMS challenge when Bracken mentioned she also had unfinished jackets and coats hanging around. We challenged each other to complete one of them in time for November’s Amnesty Day. Out of the closet it came.
It was actually very close to being finished, just the sleeve linings need attaching and buttons and buttonholes. But after trying it on, I decided to also re-position the side bust darts and add a velvet cuff – the sleeves were just a touch too short for me.
While I’m happy to be finished with it, I have to to be honest and say I like it but don’t love it. The fit is still not quite right, and I don’t at all like the velvet cuffs – but they’re ok rolled up. Still, it will get worn next winter, I’m sure.