Week 2 was one I thought I would have to sit out. I wasn’t keen on sewing something just to enter and I couldn’t think of any non clothing sewing I needed to do. However I re-read the instructions and realised that hats were ok.
Summer hats are always required for my little girl – I’m not quite sure what happens to all of them. I had seen a few examples of the Oliver + S hat online, and I thought a reversible one would be useful.
This hat was made out of scraps – some of the pattern pieces even fitted onto some skinny pieces I was keeping (hoarding?) without much hope of using them. The denim side is from last week’s dress and the gingham is from Simplicity 8391 top and skirt I made in May.
The pattern had good instructions, clear diagrams and came together easily. I found sewing the tight curves a little tricky and I held my breath as I put the 2 sides together. I was sure one of them would have been cut inaccurately. But no, it all came together smoothly.
I decided not to interface the brim as the denim was quite rigid and I thought the top stitching I planned to do would make it stiff enough. I have never top stitched like this before and it is really tricky, any wonkiness is amplified. I had to re do a few of the lines as wavy contrast top stitching really drags down the look. It is definitely a skill that needs practicing.
This hat is going to be very useful next summer – especially if it was as sunny as this one which has just finished! I can see me whipping up a few more of these closer to summer. There are some more details on my blog if you want to take a look.
Your model is very adorable! Cute hat!
Thanks- they were a lot more compliant than my 3 year old! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person