For week three of IPM, I had hoped to be really creative with the theme ‘Around the World’, I had grand illusions of using patterns from Scandinavia and fabric from New Zealand. But of course in the end that didn’t happen, I’ve gone instead with the Morris Blazer from Grainline Studio (based in the US). Not quite so far flung as I am from Canada but now live in the UK.
For my blazer I used a lovely purple twill crepe from Sew Over It which has such a nice weight and feel to it. I like how it’s given the blazer a bit of structure while still being super comfortable. The length of the body is one of the reasons I didn’t immediately jump on the Morris Bandwagon, as I am not a fan of cropped tops. But I easily added 1″ to the length. For the sleeves I definitely prefer full length (or rolled up above the elbow), otherwise I find myself constantly tugging at them. Having studies photos of a lot of bloggers Morris Blazer and compared the pattern piece to my arm, I decided to add 2″ to the length.
Also rather rare for me, I cut a straight size 10 (normally I grade up and down between bust, waist and hips) but I’m pretty happy with the fit. The upper arms are a little more snug than I would have liked but I think that may have been because I used French seams on the sleeve which may have added slightly too much bulk given my fabric choice.
But I need to talk about the insides, cause at the moment, that is what I am most excited about. I made meters of bias binding out of scraps and used Hong Kong seams for the sides and center back and bound all other seams and facings. As a result the insides are simply fabulous.
All in all, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, the bottom front points could be a little tighter and they don’t hang quite a nicely as I’d have like. But as I couldn’t use a really hot iron on this fabric, I’m not sure what I could have done different.
If you’re interested I’ve got a heap more photos over on my blog.