The final challenge! Since I noticed that corduroy was now available in the fabric stores near me, it was time to make the black cord pinafore I originally envisioned when I first saw the dress pattern.
I made a few changes to this one. First I added pockets, which I used scraps from my leggings last week. as I thought that corduroy pockets might be too bulky. I’m very happy I am not searching for pockets in this dress!
I also adjusted the sizing. I cut my pre pregnancy size (E) for the back pieces and for the front from above the armsyce. I graded out in the front below this to size H. The fit is lot better around the arms. The hem rises up a bit as I didn’t add any length to the front, but at least it means I won’t have to re-hem next year. Look at the improved back fit:
I also decided not to do the buttons, instead I used 4 snaps down the front, and sewed the placket closed below this. There is plenty of wiggle room to get in and out of the dress without needing the whole placket to be functional. I thought for next year it would be a lot more useful to have easy access for a hungry baby rather than the design feature.
So with this version I have rectified all the niggles I have with the first version. The denim one is a good casual dress, but I think this cord one will be good for work as well.
Thanks to all the organisers for this month. It has been great to participate and has re-invigorated my sewing after a bit of a slump over the last few months. I now have some solid basics to wear over winter 🙂
These look great and you look so gorgeous in them. 🙂 Love those oversized snaps.
Great jumpers! I love the large snaps you installed in the black one! I just started using them for projects! What a life-saver! Awesome projects! ❤