Here is a quick tutorial to get you started and publish your first blog post on The Monthly Stitch.
- Hover over “My Sites”at the top left
- If you don’t see “The Monthly Stitch” click “Switch Site” and select it from the list
- Click on WP Admin
- Hover over “Posts” then click “Add New”
WP Admin is the best place to access everything including the full feature post editor.
There is an “improved posting experience” that WordPress will try to convince you to try. We strongly encourage you not to use the new post editor. It lacks several key features and until WordPress enable these we do not support it’s development.
All our tutorials on The Monthly Stitch site presume that you are access the content via WP Admin. I quick way to get to admin is to us this address: https://themonthlystitch.wordpress.com/wp-admin/
Here is a quick breakdown of the writing screen, It’s quite easy to find your way around so just have a play!
- Use the formatting buttons to make your post interesting, just hover over a button to find out what it does, most of them are self-explanatory, it’s a bit like using Microsoft Word or similar
- You can insert links back to pattern pages, other blogs and anywhere else relevant, link love is always encouraged
- You can save your post as a draft and come back to it later
- Don’t forget to select the right category – attaching your post to the months category ensures your post shows up in the archive page
- Add some useful tags (but not too many, 3 or 4 is a good number, 12 maximum!)
- Use the Add Media button to insert an image using URL code <bonus tutorial
- Upload a Feature Image <bonus tutorial. If you forget to add a feature image your post will show a blank rectangle on the home page, this makes us sad 😦
- Make it amazing!
- Check out this WordPress tutorial for some extra help
If you’d like help with starting your post you can click on “Copy a Post” under “Writing Helper” – search for “Template Post” and then click on “copy” – you can use as little or as much of this template post as you like. Don’t forget to change the post title and click on the right category before you publish. Tip: Copying a post overwrites anything you’ve previously written so do this first, then write the rest of your post, insert/upload your pictures.
If you would like us to check over your very first post (or any of posts that you write) before you publish to provide any feedback or help with images and links etc please feel free to click on the “Request Feedback” link under “Writing Helper”. Send your request to themonthlystitch[at]gmail[dot]com. Click on “Customise the message” to add any notes for us, then click Send Request. Save your post as a draft and wait for us to get back to you 🙂
If you save you post as a draft and need to find it later that’s easy!
- Hover over “The Monthly Stitch” again and select Dashboard
- Now hover over Posts and click All Posts
- Find your draft post in the list and start editing it
- You can save and edit your draft as many times as you want and publish it when you are ready
- You can also edit posts that have already been published – go to you rpost from the home screen and look for the word ‘edit’ near the title
Q: I’ve already written a post on my personal Blogger/Wordpress blog, can I copy that post to The Monthly Stitch?
Copying a post you’ve already written is a great way to speed up the writing process – you can edit your post after copying it and add a link back to your personal blog if you like.
WordPress blogs: Edit your personal blog post on WordPress, click on the “text” tab and copy the entire code from that page. Now start a new post on The Monthly Stitch and paste the code into the “text” tab. Now you can click onto the “visual” tab or preview the post to check it has copied correctly. Feel free to change the title, any images, links or text before publishing. You still need to upload your feature image and don’t forget to click the right category for the challenge you are posting.
We’ve previously said re-blogging was also a great options but as this can often cut your post down very short we’d prefer it if you copied your post as above.
Blogger blogs: Edit your personal blog post on Blogger, copy your entire post from the “compose” tab. Now start a new post on The Monthly Stitch and paste the code into the “text” tab. Now you can click onto the “visual” tab or preview the post to check it has copied correctly. Feel free to change the title, any images, links or text before publishing. You still need to upload your feature image and don’t forget to click the right category for the challenge you are posting.