Below you will find links to all the posts regarding Indie Pattern Month 2017, an easy way for you to keep up (or catch up) with what is happening.
First time here?
Have a read of these posts to find out all about Indie Pattern Month and the sewing contests that are happening as part of it:
We’ll update this page during July – Keep an eye out for new links and all the details in one easy place 🙂
TMS Indie Pattern Designer List
Sponsor Discount Codes
- Victory Patterns – 20% off paper patterns until 16th July, code: IPM2017
- Seamstress Erin – 15% off all July, code: SewIndieMonth17
- Designer Stitch – 40% off all July, code: indiestitch17
- Deer and Doe – 10% off until 24th July, code: INDIEPATTERNMONTH2017
- Hawes and Freer – 10% off all July, code: IPM2017 – excludes Merchant & Mills
- Scroop Patterns – 10% off until 22nd July, code: IPM2017
- Teach Me Fashion – 10% off all July, code: GETSEWING
- Sew House Seven – 25% off, code: INDIE25
- Jamie Christina – 20% off until 31st August, code: indie20
Something Else Exciting!
Indie Pattern Month 2017 Pattern Sale [FINISHED]
July 15th until July 31st
- Week one: Dresses – July 1st (00:00 UTC) until July 7th (24:00 UTC)
- Week two: New To Me – July 8th (00:00 UTC) until July 14th (24:00 UTC)
- Week three: Hack It! – July 15th (00:00 UTC) until July 21st (24:00 UTC)
- Week four: Indie Royalty – July 22nd (00:00 UTC) until July 31st (24:00 UTC)
The competition deadlines run on UTC time – you can check the current UTC time here or click on the image below to use an interactive graphic to check our local time.
- Any Indie pattern brand is eligible – Need an idea of what counts? Check out our own amazing resource page of Indie Pattern Designers. Do you want to use a pattern brand that isn’t listed but you think it counts? Use the contact form at the bottom of that page and we’ll check it out.
- Patterns may be pdf or envelope patterns and must be available for purchase and/or download by the general public. Free and OOP patterns by an Indie Designer are eligible.
- Indie designer patterns available through the large “Big 4” brands are not eligible, for example, Simplicity
- Magazine or book patterns are not permitted unless the specific pattern is also available for purchase as a separate pattern in it’s entirety (i.e. pattern + instructions).
- Unreleased patterns sewn for pattern testing are not eligible.
- You can enter each challenge as many times as you like as long as each entry follows these rules.
- Items must be sewn specifically for Indie Pattern Month 2017. No earlier makes to be submitted. Items must not have been blogged about, either on TMS or on another blog, prior to the week the contest they are being entered into is running.
- Each make can be entered into only one category.
- Exception: A previously entered item from one of the first three IPM 2017 contests may be re-entered into Contest Four. A minimum of one other garment must be made to complete the entry. This additional item must be made specifically for IMP2017 (no earlier makes to be submitted).
- Each entry post must go up on the TMS blog during the week for that category and must be correctly categorised and follow ALL the posting rules. You might find is useful to read Kat’s post about Creating a Great Monthly Stitch Post.
- Posts that do not meet these rules will not be eligible. Your post will be placed in the ‘drafts’ folder and you will receive an email. You may edit and repost within the competition time frames to re-enter the competition.
- The judges (TMS Editors Mel & Kat) will choose 14 finalists for each contest. The finalists will be chosen based on the following:
- garment quality
- blog post quality, and
- The finalists for each category will be posted on The Monthly Stitch three days after the contest closes.
- Winners will be chosen from the finalists through community vote. Voting will begin for each category when the finalists are announced. Each person can vote for up to four entries with their vote. Voting is open for three days.
- Want to join in with Indie Pattern Month but not enter any of the contests? You can also just sew along with any indie pattern but not enter any of the above competitions. Categorise you post “Indie Pattern Month 2017”
- Submit any questions regarding the rules in the comments of this post or to themonthlystitch[at]gmail.com
Week One: Long time TMS Collective rejoice, Dresses has returned for IMP2017!
Dresses Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from July 1st (00:00 UTC) until July 7th (24:00 UTC)
- Must be a dress pattern
New To Me
Week Two: It wouldn’t be Indie Pattern Month without discovering new Indie Pattern Designers!
New To Me Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from July 8th (00:00 UTC) until July 14th (24:00 UTC)
- Must be a company that you have never sewn from before, including muslining, pattern testing, or any fails/UFOs (UnFinished Objects)
Week Three: Take it up a notch and wow us with your mad hacking skills!
Hack It! Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from July 15th (00:00 UTC) until July 21st (24:00 UTC)
- Must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Modify a single pattern to create a new style
- Combine two or more patterns into one garment
Week Four: It’s time to show us what you’re made of! Proclaim your Indie Pattern Queen (or King) status by dressing ALL INDIE and take your place among Indie Royalty.
Indie Royalty Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from July 21st (00:00 UTC) until July 31st (24:00 UTC)
- Only open to The Monthly Stitch contributors who meet the following:
- Have posted on TMS before 1 July 2017
- Have posted something that wasn’t for any previous Indie Pattern Month
- Must be at least two garments, which work together in an outfit.
- May include a previously entered item from one of the first three contests.
- A minimum of one other garment must be made to complete the entry. This additional item must be made specifically for IMP2017 (no earlier makes to be submitted).
- Garments in addition to the minimum of two will carry more weighting and increase your score.
- Your entire outfit must be made specifically for IPM2017. No RTW or earlier makes may be used to complete your outfit.
- Indie Royalty Launch Post, Sponsors and Prizes!
- Indie Royalty Finalists VOTE [CLOSED]
- Indie Royalty Winners
The Monthly Stitch says thank you to all our fabulous sponsors who have contributed to IPM2016.
Check them out:
Past Indie Pattern Months
How do I sign up to The Monthly Stitch?:
You must apply and be approved to post on The Monthly Stitch Blog. You can use the sign up for at the bottom of this page.
Please keep in mind that we get really busy working on Indie Pattern Month and we often get a lot of sign up requests in July at the last minute. We must approve sign-ups manually and it can take up to 72 hours for us to complete the process so please don’t wait until the day your contest is closing!