Creative minds sometimes have trouble focusing on one project at a time, especially when there are so many fresh ideas and innovational Indie pattern designers out there. I want to try them all! However, I’ve learned there’s wisdom in the old adage “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it,” so for this dress challenge, I used a pattern I have tried before. The Laurel dress pattern #1025 from Colette Patterns fits me extremely well and flatters my figure. The straight sillouhette camouflages my middle-aged waistline, yet the ruffled cuffs on the sleeves add a touch of sass. The perfect shift for summer outings!
I printed a digital pdf pattern on my home computer. Piecing it together was simple, and the sewing instructions were thorough and easy enough for beginning sewists. I chose version 3 for the first dress I made from this pattern. I loved it so much, I used the same version this time but with a few alterations. I made the body from a Rowan Victoria & Albert Museum fabric called Bromley Arbor in navy. I made the sleeve cuffs and a wide border hem from a lightweight chambray cotton. I love the organic feel of the chambray paired with the earthy Persian flavor of the fabric. I also added some raw-edge flowers made from torn fabric strips for an unexpected Boho touch.
Fabric that speaks to you, an 18″ zipper, and one package of single fold bias tape is all you need to whip up this flirty dress. Oh, and don’t forget to sign your creation with a personalized sewing label! You can also check out more of my makes at My French Twist.