Our second contest for Indie Pattern Month 2016 is a slight tweak on one of last years themes.
Sometimes you love a pattern so much you need to make it twice. Maybe you made view a and now you want to make view b. Or, after making a weekend style dress, you decide you need a version for a night on the town and so you dive into your fabric stash looking for sequins. 😉
Contest two, June 8-14 – One Pattern, Two Ways
How does this all work?
Each contest runs over the course of one week during June. During that week, anyone who wants to enter can by writing a post about their entry on The Monthly Stitch and selecting the contest category for that week.
Your post must follow the General and Contest Specific Rules set out below.
At the end of the week for each contest, the judges (Kat and Mel) will choose 14 entries to go into the final. Finalists will be chosen based on four key factors:
- garment quality
- blog post quality, and
The 14 finalists will be posted on the Monthly Stitch three days after the contest closes. The winners will be chosen through a community vote.
Voting will begin for each category once the finalists are announced. Voting is open for 3 days and you can vote for up to four entries per contest.
Want to join in with Indie Pattern Month but not enter any of the contests? Indie Patterns are still the overall challenge theme for June so you can also just sew along with any indie pattern but not enter any of the above competitions. Categorise your post “Indie Pattern Month 2016”.
Submit any questions regarding the rules in the comments of this post or by emailing themonthlystitch[at]gmail.com
Like any good contest, there are a few rules for these ones as well.
- Any Indie pattern brand is eligible. You can find a list of eligible brands here. If a brand isn’t on the list please use the form at the bottom of that page to suggest an edit. If you aren’t sure if something is indie just ask!
- Patterns must be pdf or envelope patterns. Sewing books and magazines are not eligible.
- You can enter each contest as many times as you like as long as each entry follows all general and contest specific rules set out here.
- Each individual make can only be entered into one category – there is one exception to this rule and we will update you after all contests have been announced.
- Items must be new and sewn specifically for Indie Pattern Month 2016. No makes started prior to the contest announcements are to be submitted.
- Items must not have been blogged about, either on The Monthly Stitch or on another blog, prior to the week the contest they are being entered into is running. You may blog your entries elsewhere after posting on The Monthly Stitch.
- Your post must go up on The Monthly Stitch blog during the week of the contest category and must be correctly categorised and follow ALL the usual posting rules.
- We need your entry post to be of a good quality. The more photos and details you include, the more people will learn about what you’ve made, and the better chance you have of being a finalist and, ultimately, a winner! Posts must include the following:
- A minimum of three photos (that have been inserted using URLs, not uploaded to the blog directly please – we’ve got a tutorial here for how to do that)
- A feature image (here’s a tutorial for how to add a feature image)
- The contest category selected (so that we know it’s a competition entry post!) We’ll tell you the categories at the start of each contest week so you know which one to use.
- Information about the pattern/s you used: the brand, the name/number of the pattern (you might also like to include a description, image, and link to the pattern page)
- What fabric and notions you used
- Any pattern alterations/design changes you made, and what (if any) you’d make next time
- How you found the instructions. Were they easy to follow?
- Why did you choose the pattern and fabric you used?
- You might find is useful to read Kat’s post about Creating a Great Monthly Stitch Post.
- All competition deadlines run on UTC time – you can check the current UTC time here.
- Posts that do not meet these rules will not be eligible. Your post will be placed in the ‘drafts’ folder and you will receive an email. You may edit and repost within the competition time frames to re-enter the competition. For this reason we suggest you do not post at the last minute – give yourself time to check your post and then to correct it and repost if needed.
One Pattern, Two Ways Contest Specific Rules:
- The “One Pattern, Two Ways” competition runs from June 8th (00:00 UTC) until June 14th (24:00 UTC)
- Make two garments using the same pattern. You may make the same view twice or two different views/options of the same pattern.
- Both makes must be new and sewn for this competition.
- The post category is One Pattern, Two Ways (June 8th – 14th) 2016
A huge thank you to the sponsors of One Pattern, Two Ways, they have all contributed to the prize list below – why don’t you take a look at their websites to see what you might choose! 😉
We like to have as many winners as possible, and we know that you like it that way too! So there are multiple prizes in each category. So many pretty sewing goodies to be won, all donated by our amazing sponsors!
There will be a total of 8 winners for the One Pattern, Two Ways contest and they will randomly be assigned a prize from the following list:
- Minerva – A 10m mystery fabric bundle
- Jamie Christina – three PDF patterns of the winners choice
- Itch to Stitch – one PDF pattern of the winners choice
- Republique du Chiffon – voucher for one paper pattern of the winners choice
- True Bias – two PDF patterns of the winners choice
- Hot Patterns – one PDF pattern of the winners choice
- Greenstyle Creations – three pdf patterns of the winners choice
- Islander Sewing Systems – EZ Cape Pattern PDF
- Ralph Pink – one PDF of winners choice
- Maison Fleur Patterns – two PDF patterns
- By Hand London – one PDF pattern of the winners choice
- Schnittchen – two paper patterns of the winners choice
- Named – one PDF pattern of the winners choice
- Sew Chic – one paper pattern of the winners choice
- Muse – one PDF pattern of the winners choice
Keeping Up to Date:
Don’t forget you can keep track of all things Indie Pattern Month on our dedicated page here.
How do I sign up?
If you’ve previously posted on The Monthly Stitch blog then you are good to go!
Otherwise you must apply and be approved, please use the sign up for at the bottom of this page.
Please keep in mind that we get really busy working on Indie Pattern Month and we often get a lot of sign up requests in June at the last minute. We must approve sign-ups manually and it can take up to 72 hours for us to complete the process. You also need time for the sign up email to arrive and if you do not yet have a WordPress account you will need to set this up. So, please don’t wait until the day your contest is closing!
What pattern do you think you need to make twice? How will you make your two versions different (or the same, that’s ok too!)?