Butterick 6463

My first foray with The Monthly Stitch! Thanks so much for including me. For the Miss Bossy April Challenge I selected three patterns that I purchased in the past couple of years but they had languished in the drawer for a variety of reasons. I take challenges seriously so knew this would push me to get one done.

With 42% of the of total 90 votes cast, Butterick 6463 was the winner. I bought this pattern a couple of years ago because I’m a sucker for anything coral, and I was seduced by the idea of a peplum. Anyway, in spite of suitable fabric and all of the notions it sat waiting. Why didn’t I make it? Probably because I figured the peplum would only draw attention to my tree trunk shaped midriff. The verdict is out on a peplum. Let me know what you think after viewing the photos.

img_0345-1

The Fabric

I had something suitable in my stash, but decided it wasn’t quite right so found a polyester crepe at Hobby Lobby. I love the colour – the bolt called it sage but I think it’s more of a teal. The pinks in the flowers match some of my other Spring fabrics, and the grey will work with jacket and pants sewn earlier this year. And it passes the fist crunch test which means it may look decent at the end of humid summer days.

Sewing Notes

After measuring the pattern pieces I decided to cut an 18 and do a pivot to increase the bust and waist. I added 2″ to the bust and angled out towards the waist thus increasing the waist by about 2 1/2″. The hip measurement didn’t need to change because of the peplum. There are separate front and back facings and surprise! I remembered to alter them. This is what happens when you don’t have a glass of wine beside you while you’re cutting 😉 My peplum measurements weren’t perfect but that was easily remedied, although don’t look too closely at the seam alignment!

The pattern goes together quickly but there is a head scratcher when you attach the back tab and ties. I don’t know if I interpreted the instructions correctly, but here’s what I did:

First, stitched, pressed, trimmed and turned the tie.

img_0273-1

Second, basted the tab

Third, gathered the tab and the tie to be the same length as the markings on the back of the garment.

Fourth, and here’s where it wasn’t clear. I placed the unfinished edges of the tab and tie WITHIN the back dart. Then I stitched up the dart. The ends of the tab and tie are enclosed within the dart. This worked well and the outside looks tidy

img_0282

Once I got through that it was just a matter of attaching the peplum, adding the zipper, and finishing the hem on the peplum. The zipper isn’t perfectly installed, but I think it’s quite good given how the polyester moved, and my inexperience with lapped zips.

Result

I like the shaping and style of the top, and the fabric seems just right. Does it seem like the body is shorter on me than it was on the model?

I’m really glad that I was pushed to make this top. I’m trying to develop a more professional work wardrobe and this fits the bill. Best things? Bra straps don’t show, and the waist is forgiving so it’s a good choice for dinners out when dessert is a requirement, not an option 😉 if I make it again, and I likely will because I have suitable fabric, I’ll add some ease to the bodice.

Dessert test!

4 thoughts on “Butterick 6463

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s