We will be updating this page throughout the month of October — keep an eye out for new links and all Indie Pattern Month details in one easy place!
First time here?
Have a read of these posts to find out all about Indie Pattern Month and the sewing contests that are happening as part of it:
- Announcing Indie Pattern Month 2018
- Indie Pattern Month 2018: The Contests!
- ALL posts relating to IPM2018
Need some indie pattern inspiration? Check out our TMS Indie Pattern Designer List!
New This Year: Indie Pattern Month Instagram Giveaways!
Make sure you’re following along with TMS on Instagram for a few extra chances to win some great prizes throughout the month! It’s just a little thank you from us to you for following along with the excitement of our 6th year of Indie Pattern Month!
- Any indie pattern brand is eligible – Need an idea of what counts? Check out our own amazing resource page of Indie Pattern Designers. Do you want to use a pattern brand that isn’t listed but you think counts? Use the contact form at the bottom of that page and we’ll check it out.
- Patterns may be PDF or envelope patterns and must be available for purchase and/or download by the general public. Free and out-of-print patterns by an indie designer are eligible.
- Indie designer patterns available through the large “Big 4” brands are not eligible, for example, Simplicity.
- Magazine or book patterns are not permitted unless the specific pattern is also available for purchase as a separate pattern in its entirety (i.e. pattern + instructions).
- Unreleased patterns sewn for pattern testing are not eligible.
- You can enter each challenge as many times as you like as long as each entry follows these rules.
- Items must be sewn specifically for Indie Pattern Month 2018. No earlier makes may be submitted. Items must not have been blogged about, either on TMS or on another blog, prior to the week the contest they are being entered into is running.
- Each make can be entered into only one category.
- Exception: A previously entered item from week 1 or week 3 IPM 2018 may be re-entered into the week 4 contest. A second garment must be made to complete the entry. This additional item must be made specifically for IPM 2018 (no earlier makes to be submitted).
- Each entry post must go up on the TMS blog during the week for that category and must be correctly categorized and follow ALL the posting rules. You might find it useful to read Kat’s post about Creating a Great Monthly Stitch Post and How to insert images using URL codes (just a reminder – we ask that you only upload one image for your post as the “feature image“ and all other images in your post should be inserted using the image URL code from a photo sharing site such as Photobucket, Pinterest, Flickr, Picasa, etc.)
- Posts that do not meet these rules will not be eligible. Your post will be placed in the ‘drafts’ folder and you will receive an email. You may edit and repost within the competition time frames to re-enter the competition.
- The judges (your TMS Editors) will choose finalists for each contest. The finalists will be chosen based on the following:
- Garment quality
- Blog post quality
- The finalists for each category will be posted on The Monthly Stitch four days after each contest closes.
- Winners will be chosen from the finalists through community vote. Voting will begin for each category when the finalists are announced. Each person can vote for up to four entries with their vote. Voting is open for three days.
- Submit any questions regarding the rules in the comments of this post or to themonthlystitch[at]gmail.com
Week 1: Dresses
The long-time favorite is back again, starting us off strong for IPM 2018!
Dresses Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from October 1st (00:00 UTC) until October 7th (24:00 UTC)
- Must be a dress pattern
Week 2: Anything But Clothes
We’re stepping a little outside the box on this one – accessories, home decor… if you wouldn’t typically wear it on your body, it’s fair game!
Anything But Clothes Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from October 8th (00:00 UTC) until October 14th (24:00 UTC)
- Must be anything BUT a garment pattern. For the purpose of this contest, “clothes” include tops, bottoms, undergarments, outerwear, and anything else that you would wear on your body (note: that does not include “wearing” a purse, etc. – accessories that you wear in addition to your clothes, such as shoes and hats are still fair game) 🙂
- Anything But Clothes Launch Post and Sponsors
- Anything But Clothes Finalists VOTE
- Anything But Clothes Winners
Week 3: Around The World
For this one, we are celebrating the fact that our collective members and the indie designers we love are from all corners of the globe!
Around The World Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from October 15th (00:00 UTC) until October 21st (24:00 UTC)
- Must be a pattern from a designer based out of a country other than your own
- Within your Around The World contest post, you MUST include what country you are from, and what country the pattern you have selected is from
- Around The World Launch Post and Sponsors
- Around The World Finalists VOTE
- Around The World Winners
Week 4: One Pattern, Two Ways
Another oldie-but-goodie… it’s always so much fun to see how one person can interpret the same design in different ways!
One Pattern, Two Ways Contest Specific Rules:
- Competition runs from October 22nd (00:00 UTC) until October 31st (24:00 UTC)
- Only open to The Monthly Stitch contributors who meet the following:
- Have posted on TMS before October 1st 2018
- Have posted something that wasn’t for any previous Indie Pattern Month
- Make two garments using the same pattern. You may make the same view twice or two different views/options of the same pattern.
- Both makes must be new and sewn specifically for Indie Pattern Month 2018. A previously entered item from week 1 or week 3 may be re-entered into the week 4 contest. A second garment must be made to complete the entry.
- One Pattern, Two Ways Launch Post and Sponsors
- One Pattern, Two Ways Finalists VOTE
- One Pattern, Two Ways Winners
Want to join in with Indie Pattern Month but not enter any of the contests?
The general challenge for the month is “Indie Patterns” so feel free to sew along with us even if your pattern doesn’t fit into any of the contest categories. Simply categorize your post “Indie Pattern Month 2018” without selecting any of the weekly sub-categories.
- Week One: Dresses — October 1st (00:00 UTC) until October 7th (24:00 UTC)
- Week Two: Anything But Clothes — October 8th (00:00 UTC) until October 14th (24:00 UTC)
- Week Three: Around The World — October 15th (00:00 UTC) until October 21st (24:00 UTC)
- Week Four: One Pattern, Two Takes — October 22nd (00:00 UTC) until October 31st (24:00 UTC)
The competition deadlines run on UTC time – you can check the current UTC time here or click on the image below to use an interactive graphic to check our local time.
A huge THANK YOU to all of our amazing sponsors this year, new and returning! This month wouldn’t be possible without you! Make sure to check them out and show them some indie love!
Sponsor Discount Codes
- Alina Sewing | Design Co. — 10% off all October, code: IndiePatternMonth2018 (bundles excluded)
- Blackbird Fabrics — 10% off all October, code: INDIELOVE2018 (gift certificates excluded)
- Blue Dot Patterns — 10% off all October, code: INDIESTITCH
- Designer Stitch — 30% off all October, code: monthlystitch30
- Helen’s Closet — 15% off all October, code: IPM18
- How to do Fashion — 25% off print and PDF all October, code: IPM2018
- Jennifer Lauren Handmade — 15% off 10/16 thru 10/31, code: MONTHLYSTITCH
- Muse Patterns — 20% off all October, code: IPM2018
- Named — 15% off valid 10/1 thru 10/8, code: SEWINDIE2018
- Paprika Patterns — 15% off all October, code: IPM2018
- Sarah Kirsten — 20% off all October, code: INDIEMONTH
- Scroop Patterns — 20% off all October, code: IPM2018
- Sew Chic Patterns — 20% off until November 4, code: MSTITCH2018
- Sew House Seven — 25% off all October, code: STITCH25
- Tuesday Stitches — 15% off all October, code IPM2018
Past Indie Pattern Months
New to our blog and ready to sign up to post on The Monthly Stitch?
You must apply and be approved to post on The Monthly Stitch blog. You can use the sign up form at the bottom of this page.
Please keep in mind that we get really busy working on Indie Pattern Month and we often get a lot of sign-up requests during the month at the last minute. We must approve sign-ups manually and it can take up to 72 hours for us to complete the process so please don’t wait until the day your contest is closing!
Have an indie pattern business or shop and want to get involved?
Welcome and thank you for your interest! We would love to have you contribute to our members as a sponsor for a future Indie Pattern Month! If you’re interested, just let us know using the form below and we will add you to our contact list for next year’s event!